Tag Archives: national taco day
Happy National Taco Day!!! I only found out around 11:30 today and the tuna taco inception seed was planted. I made a run to Whole Foods, got home at 8 and by 8:30, dinner was on the table! This recipe is easy and is SO, SO delicious.
Tuna & Taco stuff
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 12 ounces ahi tuna, cut into 1-inch-thick steaks
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 hard taco shells
- 2 limes, halved
In a small bowl, combine cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper, and coriander. Rub spice mixture generously on both sides of the tuna.
Heat a nonstick pan on the stove over high heat. When pan is smoking hot, add olive oil, wait 10 seconds, then add tuna. Sear for 1 minute per side, or until fish is cooked on the outside, but rare on the inside. Beware! Your spice mixture on a very hot pan will smell very similar to mase. I would know. I was practically choking. Once you begin to breathe normally, transfer to a plate.
In the meantime microwave or heat your taco shells according to the box’s instructions.
- 3 ripe avocados, pit and skin discarded, diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Add all ingredients to a medium-size bowl. Toss gently. DO NOT MASH AVOCADO. The chunkier, the better!
Assemble and voila!