cinco de mayo salad
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
I almost broke my resolve to eat salad when I entertained the idea of making ooey gooey cheesy enchiladas. MMMMMMM. I dug deep and mustered the strength to stay true to my rabbit diet. The result? A pseudo-Mexican salad with a knock your socks off dressing from the always dependable allrecipes.com.
Cinco De Mayo Salad
- 3 romaine hearts, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Half a jicama, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 can (15.5 oz) black beans, rinsed and well drained
- 3/4 cup fresh or canned corn kernels, uncooked
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
- Half an avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Half a roasted chicken, skin removed and shredded
Cilantro Lime Dressing from Lin
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
To make the dressing, place the jalapeno pepper, garlic clove, and ginger into a food processor or blender. Pulse until the jalapeno and garlic are finely chopped. Pour in the lime juice, honey, balsamic vinegar, and salt, add the cilantro leaves; pulse a few times to blend. Turn the food processor or blender on, and slowly drizzle in the olive oil until incorporated into the dressing. Season to taste with salt before serving.
Combine the salad ingredients and toss lightly with dressing. You’ll definitely have enough left over to use for another salad or as a great marinade. I think it would be pretty stellar on grilled shrimp.
This salad is the front runner in the salad challenge so far. Who knew anything could be better than bacon salad in bacon fat salad dressing? I’m off to the gym now. I hope you all enjoy your Cinco de Mayo with a cool refreshing margarita!